So I have had the unique opportunity to develop some of my writing a bit more than I ever had thought I would.. Confusing? Let me back up a few years ago. So I am a nerd, self proclaimed, no worries.... was really into gaming because well it was a fantastic escape from the real world! Yea I need the escape. In the process of playing one of my many games online, lol, myspace (LMFAO). I actually found some wonderful people.... a handful of which are still in my life three almost four years later. NERD alert: you've been warned! One of the games was vampire wars. Yea, so there was a vamp clan developed, early on in the game, thanks O, CC, and Madam Minx! I was in... these indivuduals became my sounding board not just for the game but for what was going on in life too, spent a lot of time online playing, at one point was one of seven leaders of the clan, which had exponentially grown. Well CC is wonderfully talented and decided to document his "creation story" and betwen him and Darla (she had a pictorial debut of her vamp)... they both posed a "challange" to give our vamps a back story. My vamp, M&M (my initials, was in many ways, like most gamers, my alter ego). Because it was a game, I also had two "baby vamps" I know... I know... already said I spent time playing.
So fine, I decided I could do this, but it wouldn't be half assed M&M (M for short)would have her orgins in history... deeply rooted, something that actually could have happened. Used mesoamerican culture, because that was my studies... got this! Documented my timelines, and research, staying consistant. It was easier than I anticpated. So I decided to one up it and work my baby vamps too. Isa and Mael. Isa is from Spain made by accident, completely sexual, wonderfully outspoken, and seeking something she can't find. Mael, from Ireland, an instinctively protective family man, who lost everything, M found him at his most desperate, and she felt something for him.
Each of these "characters" is insight into me, they are a piece of me; part of my personality, yea a bit exaggerated.
So an accident occured, one opportunity out the door but on the heels came another! I mentioned Mael to my writer/director friend, just shooting from the hip. He was asking about my creative side. Knows all about my demented mind for make up, special effects design (thats like a million other blogs)... but it was my writing that he was asking about he's read some, very little poetry of mine. He asked if I had ever written short stories. I said no, but then Mael's character came to mind... and I said, "sorta". He asked for an elaboration on Mael. Yea, he was hooked. (Thank goodness I did my research there too!) The next day I am getting bombarded with questions about my characters. He asks can I write about them?
Oh crap. Ummmm. I trust you, so yea. Ummm... Then he assured me that they were my intellectual property. Haha. Alright. Well, its is him, and he does owe me. Fine, I will humor the idea. That was Thursday. Friday goober- aka Matt had a golf game with some friends of his. Three of which are producers/writers/directors... guys in the industry. Anyhow, two were extremely interested in the info that he had! Since then, it has been GREEN light.... get this stuff on paper, work on these characters. Get some storylines together. I had no clue how much goes into stuff. But before words can actually be spoken plots can be developed Matt wants to make sure these are strong characters. Since they aren't his, they are mine, he wants all kinda info. doing my research making sure they all have strong back stories... making sure that they behave consitant.
So this is where I am now in life... playing with these three "characters".... interesting their individual views on random things. Funny to pick them each up and put them on like a favorite shirt. Even more funny to have someone pick that same shirt up and try to figure out how its made. Good stuff. I am completely overwhelmed and overjoyed with all of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment