Friday, June 3, 2011

way my brain is wired or mis-wired

A couple of days ago, I was reading through note, proof reading a letter for a friend.  LOL.  Anyone who has been around me for any length of time knows I can't spell for shat.  Here's the deal, most of it is me getting all wrapped up in emotion or what not, instead of paying attention, unless it's my phone stupid keyboard, I am not entirely responsible for that either!  Tiny stupid buttons, don't even get me started when I had my acrylic nails on.  HAHA!!! I try hard. But regardless, spelling is just not my strong suit. 


I am a kinesthetic learner with photographic tendencies....  What does that mean?  Hands on but I am pretty good at looking at something and memorizing a good chunk of it too.  We all learn differently.  There are some who are auditory (they hear something and viola they've got it).  Traditional school isn't set up for every one's learning styles.  It seriously used to piss people off in school that I never had to study too hard.  Let me share?  It just gets locked inside my brain.  Effect most of the time, but it means I spit out random crap too.  I guess its good for writing, now, pretty awesome for jeopardy... lol .  anyhow.


Things aren't what they appear to be though.  As a kiddo I was ambidextrous.  I have always been. Remember vividly going to horseback ridding lessons as a kid and my instructor asking... are you right handed?  I didn't understand... she said Okay kiddo, which hand to you brush your teeth with.  I said well depends on which side of  my mouth, lol.  She said your hair, I told her it didn't matter.  She said really?  I said yup, I use both hands.  Just whichever is easier to do something at the time.  It doesn't matter.  She saw that as a strength, and taught me how to show with each side.  That would piss off judges, in the arena because it was different.  Something as small as how you held the reins yea, made a difference.  I just used the "inner hand" each time, more control.  But I got docked sometimes because of it.  DUMB.  I also got questioned about it.   Somehow not everyone understood, that it could be a good thing. 


When I got to school things were pretty good, my kindergarten teacher realized that I could write with either hand.  I remember her instructions to my mom to keep it going, keep encouraging me but it was gonna be more difficult initially.  Then I hit first grade.  I am not gonna throw that teach under the bus by saying her name.  Only that she was SUPER strict and very old school... I am not that old, but there was a time when it was still acceptable an even common practice for corporal punishment to exist in school, this is right before there it was banned entirely.


This teacher, well yea, we got our ears pulled, sat in the corner, spanked... whatever she needed to do to humiliate us and shut us up, she did.  It's not right... but it's what happened.  So, when it came to writing. OMG, yup this was my first grade teacher. And it wasn't acceptable for me to change up hands writing, NO.  And I have thought about it she really did discourage left handed people too.  Anyhow.  I remember her going as far as taping the pencil in my right hand to keep it in that hand.  YEA.  Lots of heartache.  I just didn't understand and I didn't understand the punishments either.  I was just a kid trying to understand things.  First grade... so amongst things being learned at that time... numbers, number sequences... this is where I have the toughest part. 


So what happened?  What became of the insistent teaching?  I am right handed.  LOL.  Though normally your dominate side (hand and foot (are/) is larger... My left hand and foot are both bigger... Should I have been left handed?  I don't know.  I know there are many things I still do with either hand.  But there is a down fall.  I am dyslexic... mostly in number sequences... dyscalculia (official term) but it happens with words too and this is where and what I was getting at with the proof reading... I saw the word "felt" but read the word aloud as "left"... all the same letters... I can read, even speed read... Pretty good at it actually, LOVE to read.  Took a course in fourth grade, a speed reading course... thank you MOM!  She knew I was struggling, it gave hints about studying and reading text books... speed reading, is awesome. 


Thing is unless I am focusing on reading I have a hard time doing it aloud...  so as I was reading, I transposed the letters, because the word was in a sentence in the middle of the paragraph.  Yea, kinda embarrassing.  It happens.  I don't mean it to, the other thing that will often happen, I drop words.  My ex used to make fun of me for this, jerk.  But It's not really my fault entirely, its the way my brain is wired, or mis wired as the case may be. 


ummm, kid do you know you transpose numbers?  I said yea, well... he said nope I just wanna say thank you for giving me all your info, you are very thorough, thank goodness, and it stops me from having to play phone tag with you.  BTW, you aren't the only one in that office who is.  Well that made me feel minutely better, but better. 


This is just another one of my quirks.  It happens.  Those that know me well enough, know it happens often, my apologies.... I don't mean to make life difficult by forgetting words, spelling like crap, or transposing numbers... the little hamsters that run my brain are a bit off.  (Yes, I know, no REAL hamsters have been injured in the making of this... lol, I know they aren't really in my brain!  I have a tendency to blame hamsters for everything especially if it runs slower than normal.) LOL. 


Maybe that's why I learn the way I do.  I am sure it has to do with how info is stored in my brain.  My ex boss lady, when I worked at Kirby was AMAZED.  She looked at me after giving the demo, second day of work, training on how to give Kirby demo's... she said you know where everything in this box goes right, and how the machine hooks together don't you.  I nodded, replied pretty much.  Yea, I get it.  I will need to do it once, and it will be locked in forever.  She laughed said photographic memory, I said close.  It did come in handy too working at the bar.  People like it when you can remember their drink orders.  I know random, but it was the combo of remembering and having to punch it in that made me remember. 


It is what it is, like I said a quirk.  I am grateful I know how to read, I can communicate my thoughts, for the most part, logically... And that math, while its a pain, I can do that too.  Maybe it explains why the blog kinda bounces back and forth too.  Figured I'd share.  Forget that not everyone knows this about me, so when someone else close learns it.  I have to take a step back and say.... oh yea, by the way... It doesn't define me but it is a part of me. 


Thinking that's why massage came naturally too, no numbers, no writing... but the learning was all hands on.  SOUNDS easy enough.  Watch the move, stroke, stretch, whatever, and duplicate... YUP.  Perfect.  Better yet, I get to be ambidextrous.  Some things just fit and fit easily.