Friday, May 20, 2011

Ignorance.

Okay so gonna hop on the soap box for a min... Addressing this rant because I AM gonna go there... YUP, this blog is gonna be opinionated... and I make no excuses or apologies for it... don't like it, continue on and I won't be offended in the slightest. 



So of all the random things I could be talking about. All the wonderfully odd things that happened this week. When one door closes there is ALWAYS a window or door that opens... And success and happiness are the best revenge ever! I believe that its because you are too busy enjoying life to look back at the bad, what can be better than that? Indifference is really the opposite of love. YIKES! Never knew... but those aren't what I am discussing in this blog... Though they are great lessons that the universe has first handed showed me... Lessons learned and through God's grace I AM a better person (not a vicitm) with some interesting experiences.


ig·no·rance

noun /ˈignərəns/ 
1.) Lack of knowledge or information

That was google's definition.  While Wiki, describes it as several things including the one definition above but expanded to say... "Ignorance should be distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts. Also, if important information is available, one may fail to acquire it due to lack of intelligence (not realizing its importance, or not understanding it). The informal use of ignorant is the same as rude and discourteous.....  Ignorance rooting from ignoring is a selective state of unawareness."


The definitions are important... I was given a set of statements today... One's that are clearly made from pettiness and an ignorance.  Let it be known that it NEVER made me mad, because this kinda hate, prejudice, comes from small minds.  There is no other way to say it.  No I kinda chuckled and wanted to know when the clock was turned back to the late ninetieth / maybe early twentieth century?  Okay... PROGRESS, not REGRESS, and this is the twenty-first century... catch up. 

I decided to take it back, like Randall, in Clerks 2



Is it bad that this is the first thing I thought of when I heard the stupidity being repeated?  Words only have as much 'power' as you let them have.  To me, this doesn't have any but those of laughter.  I love this scene and the ones that follow with Randall putting the phrase "Porch Monkey 4 Life" on the back of his Mooby's uniform shirt.  The above clip is comical.  No I know that term isn't and there are a slew, of terms, most in that clip, that aren't good either.  But it is like I said, it only has power if you let it. 

I have lived a pretty normal life, growing up, yea, I am from a Chicano background, but I have been in a very supportive environment.  I remember having friends and lots of them, never did we judge the color or lack of color of some one's skin.  That is something they have no choice in the matter over. Rise above the way someone looks on the outside.  It has always been instilled in me since I was a small kiddo....  My parent's best friends were an interracial couple, they were in their lives before I was even born.  I grew up at Aunt Julie's and Uncle Keith's house, learned some of the hardships they had to go through... I remember those conversations, when I would ask why to them... and both trying to break things down on an age appropriate level for me.  I couldn't understand it then and I still don't get it now. 

I had things come at me when I was showing horses... I remember those times vividly too, but Mom and Dad, and even Lesa (my instructor) did an excellent job not letting me focus on that hate.  They said that those people were just upset because I was excelling where they weren't and there had to be something they could say to bring me down... so it was out of a small mind that they attack something I have no control over. 

At sixteen I was dating this guy from Ohio, RW.  We had just been out horseback riding (it was his first time out, so I had given him my horse --gosh I miss Tinker!).  I went to drop him off at home, and we were a hot mess, having been riding, cleaning stables, and the horses... anyhow, his dad opened the door and as I was thanking him for letting R come out for the day, he got pissed.  Now I didn't understand where this was coming from because he was home on time, actually early, and a shower should take care of the rest.  Haha, right?  He looked right at me and said wait, are you Mexican?  I shrugged and said yea.  He said get off my property and you won't be talking to my son anymore.  Oh the tears. 

I left feeling shame and hurt.  That was the FIRST time it had hit and so hard and about me.  WOW.  Hate, geez.  That was horrible.  Okay, so yea, I am of Mexican American decent.  Yup, it is in the ancestry... So is an LDS from UT... and a few Spanish people.  Several southern families farther back... and Mom reminds me, (shutters) I am even related to the Donner family!  Not entirely Mexican, there is also native in there, on Dad's side, my great, great, grandmother was a "gift" to my great great grandfather for helping the community re-establish themselves after a huge storm, and then the tribe disowned her.  I am a mutt, no worries, though, a cute mutt.  Hehe.  I don't know how many are actually purebreds out there unless they happen to be inbred as well.  SMH. 

MeCHAinlaw was pretty much a "good o'le boy".  Racial slurs just fell out of his mouth every time the man spoke.  Yea people like that exist... and nope not only in the south.  I am actually pretty proud of that man though, because in the ten years I knew him, he grew up!  We had many discussions, almost every time he'd say something... at least he listened to me, realized it was wrong... and in the end I was more upset to say goodbye to him than my ex husband!  I still miss him dearly, he is a good father.  The store that I worked at there was a few times there I was confronted as well with the issue of racism.  Really?  I still don't get it.  How you can deal with talking to me on the phone, be my best friend, we work things out, and then everything changes when you meet me and I don't look like you think I should.  WTH?

So today's petty words were just that.  Petty, ignorant.  If that's all you have to come at me with... I am laughing.  It's so small minded.  And considering the source.... it may have been a case of someone throwing stones who lives in a glass house, but that seems to be the case too, normally.  Those who are insecure try to make another insecure.  News flash, it didn't work.  In fact it solidified the fact that I am where I need to be.  I don't need that kinda hate, negativity, or anything that brings in my life.  There is NO place for that, never was, never will be.  I just don't tolerate hate. 

*steps off the soapbox* 

If I have offended you reading....maybe you should check why you are offended.  I don't hate people based off of something that is impossible to change.  The color of your skin was not something chosen.... I look deeper at the character of the individual.  I can and do still love all the people IN my life for who they are on the inside.  Also being narrow minded you shut yourself off from a world of possibilities!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment